The Last Wish




January 10, 1998;
Today is my 14th birthday. I don't even realize how time passes so quickly. Actually i don't want to grow up and that's why i don't like  my own birthday because it makes me feel that i am growing older. I really don't want to be a grown up type because they seem so heartless to me. I think that one can only enjoy life fully from heart when they are child. Because whenever i see people older than me i find it real creepy and super boring. So my family members are celebrating my birthday party downstairs and as usual i came upstairs saying that I’m feeling tired. I know it's odd but i just can't help it. Whenever i think of becoming old i feel that i won't be able to live my life as i am enjoying it now. I just want to be a child always. But i know that it's impossible. I know it's a little odd for a boy like me to think like this but sorry, i can't help it. I am who i am; there is nothing i can do about it. Although no one in my family knows about it because i know that they won't understand me and my feelings. All in all i am feeling down. Anyway, the day ends and another morning come so time for school. Everything went good as usual, nothing special about it.
On my way back to home from school i just noticed something real strange. I had to walk from school because my house was quite near. As i was saying, i came by an old house where an old person lived as long as i can remember. Now the strange thing is i thought i heard some noise from inside that house. I felt real curious and couldn't stop myself from giving a little peek inside to find out what was making that sound. At first i thought that i was dreaming because i couldn't believe what i saw through a small hole of the wooden fence of that house!
I saw a long slide, some swings, a beautiful garden and at the middle of the yard i saw a man dancing who wore strange colorful cloths! I was pushing that fence so hard out of a little shock that i accidentally broke the fence and fell inside. I became awfully scared thinking that now that weird man will punish me for sure! But what happened next was exactly the opposite. When he looked at me i realize that he was actually the old man i was talking about! All on a sudden he surprised me with a bright smile although he was missing some teeth. But he smiled like he is a child like me who was looking for a play mate and now found me. He came towards me and asked if i was hurt or not. I assured that i was okay and said sorry for the fence. Then he gave me another smile and said that this part of the fence was already broken and started laughing. I kept on looking at him with astonishment. Then he introduced himself and said that his name was Mr. Steve once but now everyone calls him crazy old man, i really felt a little bad to hear how easily he hid his sorrow only with a smile. Then i told my name and he asked if i want to hang out a little because he wanted to show something as i just became his new friend. I agreed to stay a little longer. We went inside and saw a huge disco ball light in the living room and music system was also on. He said that he used it for party all the time. I saw that it was always party time for him. I also saw a lot of playing items, collection of several things like coin or cola caps etc. His house was filled with treasure like them; well that's what he called them. I also found them really exciting! I enjoyed his company very much and we really became very good friends then. After that day i often went to his house for playing because time with him is never boring. I almost forgot that he was also a grown up whom i used to hate. We played in the rain together; painted on the wall, build handmade toys and many more things. Life was really exciting with him. One day i told him that i never want to be old because i just don't want to become boring like others. Then Mr. Steve smiled at me and said something really precious that literally change my thought about life. He sat on the grass and looking at the sky and the birds. What he said was like this," Tommy boy, (that's what he called me) life is like a river which never stops. It keeps on going no matter what. It will change your appearance, it will change your path but it can never change you. You are in charge of yourself. It's all up to you who you want to become. You can be dull and boring or you can be active and adventurous. You can always enjoy life if you can remain who you are and believe in yourself and enjoy every moment like me". I was just speechless at that moment and gave him a real tight hug just I couldn’t think of anything else. But after some days i came to know that he was leaving because of some treatment. It was the most shocking news for me. I ran to his house where i found him packing everything. I said him crying not to leave me. He looked at me smiling and said that he will never leave me. He pointed my heart and said that, “Don’t worry son, i will always be right here in your little heart safe and sound"  I told him that i will miss his smile and his laugh. Then he told me close my eyes every time i miss him and he will come from my heart where he lives. He also said that i have to promise to be who i am always and enjoy everything in life. Well that's it. He left. I never met him again. But whenever i closed my eyes, i saw his face with a bright smile and saying, ''Tommy boy, I’m right here with you don't worry and enjoy every moment of life and this is my last wish." He never asked for anything to me.  He only wished for my happiness. That’s why i promised to myself that I will fulfill his last wish with all my heart and be happy….

                                                        ****The End****


*** This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lost & Found

Little Prince: Why are you sad? Me: I feel lost. Little Prince: Well, what did you lose?  I can help you find it then... (Looking with cur...